01 October 2006

College Life Booboos and Whatever

I have embraced college life completely. If you ask me to go back to high school together with those 'dumb' rules, I would say a very firm "No." College life is great! They say high school life is fantastic, but for once, let me disagree with them.

Okay, that's just a short intro. I was studying for an algebra exam a few hours ago, and the topic was all about imaginary numbers and the quadratic formula. Suddenly, a memory thought came into my brain. I remembered my blockmates complaining how QUADRATIC FORMULAS and IMAGINARY NUMBERS were d*mn difficult.

I was shocked! Quadratic formulas and imaginary numbers, difficult? Tell that to other Uneans. Tell that to me--who failed my third year and fourth year math subjects but now making a new life by scoring perfect on all the quizzes. I was really, really shocked. The question loomed in my head: Are they stupid or just, stupid?

If quadratic formulas are difficult, try integral calculus. Try derivatives. Oh, they'd be seen flocking skyscrapers ready to plunge to their death. No kidding.

Around last week, two of the chemistry lab quizzes were given back to us temporarily for us to take a peek of our scores. I scored good, aside from one that I made a confusing inference. Then I spotted one of my friends crying.

Turns out that she flunked the quiz. This final term of the 1st sem, we have six quizzes on chem lab. Oh, by her own good grace, she failed ALL SIX. She questioned herself, "Why?" She asked me, "Why?"

I answered her: "Hindi ka ba nag-aaral?"

Now she turned to me for help. She wants me to tutor her in CH101L. My face went blank. It feels flattering, but hell, my time is very important. Before, I tutored three of them in trigonometry during prelims week and I ended up suffering for it. (Not that I failed my exams. No, I passed them all.) I told her to set an early appointment, because I don't want to be tutoring during finals week.

Fine. She chose Friday, October 6. My dad's first death anniversary.

NOTE: I did not offer the tutoring. I was feeling manhid when she asked for help. Now, I'm shelling out some of my precious time to teach. I really, really would ask for professional fee now....



2 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, October 07, 2006 , Blogger dk said...

Ok...I'm really jealous! I wish we're also have quadratic formulas and imaginary numbers. Unfortunately, we're dealing with logarithmic functions right now...

Anyways, I'm really happy to hear that you're doing very well! Mare, you rule!

Don't let those "blockmate problems" of yours get to you. Kaya mo 'yan.

 
At 12:05 PM, October 08, 2006 , Blogger steph said...

Hehe, thanks Inday. Yeah, they surely suck.

Hahaha.....miss you!

Oohh...logarithmic functions...kaya kaya nila yan?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home